- This World Wide Web (WWW) site is provided as a public
service by the Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation of the Environmental Protection
Agency. It is operated under contract by Environmental Management Support, Inc.
- Information presented on this WWW site is considered public
information and may be distributed or copied. The U.S. Government retains a
nonexclusive, royalty-free license to publish or reproduce these documents, or
allow others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes. These documents may be
freely distributed and used for non-commercial, scientific, and educational
purposes. Commercial use of the documents available from this server may be
protected under U.S. and Foreign Copyright Laws. When individual documents on
this server have different copyright conditions, it will be noted in those
- Links to websites outside the U.S. EPA website and non-EPA documents are for the
convenience of the user. The Standards of Ethical Conduct do not permit the
U.S. EPA to endorse any private sector website, product, or service. The U.S.
EPA does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find
on these websites and within these documents.
These links are being provided consistent with the intended
purpose of this website.
- When you come to this website to browse, you do so
anonymously. By default, EPA does not collect personally identifying
information about you. We collect only summary information [see below] about the numbers of individuals who visit our
website and what those individuals look at. This computer system uses
industry-standard software to create summary statistics, which are used for
assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical
design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
- Where identifying information is asked of you (such as to respond to an information request) that information is provided vountarily by you. It is used only for the stated purpose and is not made available for other purposes. By providing this information voluntarily, you are consenting to its collection for the stated purpose. See our notice of use.
- Unauthorized access to or unauthorized use of this website is subject to criminal, civil, administrative, or other lawful action. For site security and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, the U.S. Government may for any lawful government purpose, without notice, monitor, intercept, search, and seize any authorized or unauthorized communication to or from this website or information used or stored on this website at any time. Any communications or information used, transmitted, or stored on this website may be used or disclosed for any lawful government purpose, including but not limited to, administrative purposes, penetration testing, communication security monitoring, personnel misconduct measures, law enforcement, and counterintelligence inquiries.
- No additional attempts are made to identify individual users
or their usage habits.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information
presented here, or would like to view all personally identifiable information that is in your name and currently stored in support of this website, please
Example of Information Collected for
Below is an example of the information collected based on a
standard request for a World Wide Web document:
2005-11-03 12:57:35 22.214.171.124 - W3SVC18
126.96.36.199 80 GET /contact/index.cfm - 200 52428 1063 HTTP/1.1
- 2005-11-03 12:57:35
- The date and time of the request.
- The IP address associated with the requestor
(you as the visitor). Depending on the requestor's method of network
connection, the IP address (or host name) may or may not identify a specific
computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers assign different IP
addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The IP
address will identify a specific computer if that computer has a
fixed IP address.
- The site name designated internally by the server for
logging purposes. It informs the server that this particular request came
through a website located on this server.
- GET /contact/index.cfm
- The location of the requested file.
- The status code. 200 means the request was filled.
- The size of the requested file in bytes.
- The time required to complete the request in
- The protocol used to complete the request.
- Identifies the type of browser software used to access the
page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the
- Identifies the operating system used to access the page,
which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages.
- Identifies the page which the user came from before
visiting this page.
Requests for other types of documents use similar information.
No other user-identifying information is collected.
Notice of Use
The Privacy Act of 1974 protects the personal information the federal government keeps on you in “systems of records (SOR)” (information an agency controls that can be retrieved by name or some other personal identifier). The Privacy Act regulates how the government can disclose, share, provide access to, and maintain the personal information that it collects. Not all information collected online is covered by the Privacy Act.
The Act’s major provisions require agencies to:
- publish a Privacy Act Notice in the Federal Register explaining the existence, character and uses of a new or revised SOR;
- keep information about you accurate, relevant, timely, and complete to assure fairness in dealing with you; and
- allow you to, upon request, access and review your information held in a SOR and request amendment of the information if you disagree with it.
Your viewing of this website does not result in the collection of any personal information that is contained in a Privacy Act System of Records as defined by the Privacy Act.
Any information collected by any form located on this website is
used only for its stated purpose and is not made available for other
You are only required to provide any personally identifying
information (such as your name, e-mail address, or mailing address) to allow us
to respond to your submission.
We collect personally identifiable information only if
specifically and knowingly provided by you:
- Personally identifying information which you provide will only
be used in connection with responding to your submission.
- Information is collected for statistical purposes. The purpose
of this use is to measure customer interest in various areas of the site. This
information is not expressed in any form which would reveal personally
- No personal information collected is sold or otherwise
transferred to a third party.
- Session cookies are enabled on this site (a "cookie" is a small file
placed on your hard drive by a website that allows it to enhance your use of
the site over time). Cookies are not used on this site to store personally identifying
information. You may still view the site
if your browser is configured to disable or disallow cookies. These cookies are automatically deleted at the end of your session.